Saturday 28 July 2012

City Of Lost Souls By Cassandra Clare

City of lost Souls by Cassandra Clare



Well Im sad to say I had a brilliant review of this written up and Then My memory stick decides to up and die on me. Probably my own fault for only keeping one copy, However I decided I needed to go and write another one. This is the fifth book in The Mortal Instruments books and it took me back to the first few books. The 4th book wasnt what #I expected it to be and was a little disappointed in it. But when I got my hands on the 5th book I dived right into it and Im so happy I did. Cassandra Clare is back on form and I loved it.

I'll try keep this to a minimum and not give too much away, however if you havent read the first four books please dont read any further!

What they say:
The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace has been freed from her captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive to rescue him, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missingbut so is the boy she hates, Sebastian, the son of her father Valentine: a son determined to succeed where their father failed, and bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.

No magic the Clave can summon can locate either boy, but Jace cannot stay awaynot from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Liliths dying magic has wroughtJace is no longer the boy she loved. He and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become what he most feared: a true servant of Valentines evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. Will the Shadowhunters hesitate to kill one of their own?


Only a small band of Clary and Jaces friends and family believe that Jace can still be saved and that the fate of the Shadowhunters future may hinge on that salvation. They must defy the Clave and strike out on their own. Alec, Magnus, Simon and Isabelle must work together to save Jace: bargaining with the sinister Faerie Queen, contemplating deals with demons, and turning at last to the Iron Sisters, the reclusive and merciless weapons makers for the Shadowhunters, who tell them that no weapon on this earth can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. Their only chance of cutting Jace free is to challenge Heaven and Hell a risk that could claim any, or all, of their lives.
And they must do it without Clary. For Clary has gone into the heart of darkness, to play a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing the game is not just her own life, but Jaces soul. Shes willing to do anything for Jace, but can she even still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?
Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

Oh, by the angel!


My Review:
City of Lost Souls starts two weeks after City of Fallen Angels ended. They are all looking for Jace and it a little heartbreaking. The clave start the search for them but still get no result, so they de-prioritize the search. Clary and her friends decide to take matters into their own hands.

Then we find out that Jace has not in fact been kidnapped. Things are much, much, worse. Sebastian binds Jace to him. What Sebastian feels and thinks Jace feels and thinks. However whereas Sebastian can control Jaces actions and emotions, this factor is not vice versa. Whatever physical damage happens to Jace, also affects Sebastian, the only good thing to come out of this horrible connection.

Clary was still her ever-fearless and reckless self, trying to save Jace from the evil clutches of Sebastian. But at times I was wondering was she living in a dream world instead of trying to find a way to help Jace.

The thing I loved most about this book was that it went into the relationships of the other Characters in the book and I found this so interesting. Simon is still very nerdy and very sarcastic. He deals with his problems in his own way. Isabelle, on the other hand, was a lot more admirable in this book than she had been previously. She lets her walls down and I enjoyed it. Perhaps Simon draws out the better side of her. I enjoyed the growing romance between the two of them, and, as always, Simon kept things thoroughly entertaining. Maia and Jordan, were two characters I grew to warm towards in this book after having very little opinion of them previously. It was interesting to understand them better when the story shifted to their perspective.

I was always enjoyed Alecs character but he annoyed me to no end in this book and you just wanted to shake him and tell him to wake the hell up!

The plot, as expected in a Mortal Instruments book, was full of surprises and twists, and nothing short of brilliant. And it didnt disappoint me at all. By the time I got to the end I was wanting more. The wait for the next book in the instalment will be torture but at least we will have clockwork princess out early next year YAY!








No comments:

Post a Comment